Connect to Outlook Action is Missing

Using Outlook 2007, IE7 and SharePoint 2007 (Exchange 2003 backend mail system). The option to Connect to Outlook is missing from the Actions Menu. I have seen numerous posts with similar issuesbut nobody seems to provide a solution that works for me.

I have have Client Integration enabled on the back end:

Central Administration > Application Management > Authentication Providers > Edit Authentication

Some posts discuss how 'Connect to Outlook' works for some users but not others, it seems to affect all our users.

The following ActiveX control that appears as an IE7 add-in - called SharePoint Stssync Handler:



















From Jose Barreto's Blog, I have found that stssync is what is used to display the Connect to Outlook option:

http://blogs.technet.com/josebda/archive/2007/03/26/searching-the-visible-moss-2007-code-for-activex-references.aspx

StssyncServer Files: TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033\BFORM.JS, TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033\INIT.JSClient File: OWSSUPP.DLL Also Known As: SharePoint Stssynch HandlerFunction: Connect to Outlook to synchronize listsReference: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms456225.aspxNon-IE behavior: Option to "Connect to Outlook" will not show. You should be able register a client application to handle the stssync:// protocol.

Properties of the version of owssupp.dll in use.




















I'm not sure at the moment where to go from here, I will check with the Active Directory guys that nothing in Group Policy is stoping this control from running. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
on

I might be too late to help you seeing that you posted this on the 5th.

I had the same exact problem you had; I am using office 2007, SharePoint services 3.0sp1, etc, etc.

I do have integration enabled but I didn't see the "connect to outlook" option. Funny enough my end users with office 2007 did, so now I KNOW it's my machine.

Long story short, something is wrong with that dll file stssync uses (owssupp.dll).

I tried to manually register it and unregister it with regsvr32 and still no luck.

So I finally broke down and did a repair install on my Office installation and sure enough, that fixed the problem.

The dll is located in the program files\Microsoft office\12 directory.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Simon Jones said...
on

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comment, it came whilst I was on holiday. We have been investiagting this further, and it seems to have occurred on pages that we have branded using features, that somehow is removing the connect to outlook option, as it appears on a site if we don't apply the feature.

Thanks Again,

Simon

quietguy said...
on

We have a brand new MOSS installation for our intranet site and the "Connect to Outlook" option is missing, as far as we know, only from one of the site owners' computer when using IE8. She has Office 2007. I tried every fix I found, but none worked. I tried also to replace owssupp.dll with the file from my computer, but no luck. I may end up trying the Office repair, it makes sense, but the last time I did it, it messed with Outlook settings and mailboxes.

Alexis said...
on

This morning I have opened my MS Outlook. And I was very upset,because something must have happened my emails. But fortunately I used the Internet and perceived there the interesting program - viewer outlook pst. I tried to use it and the utility determined my trouble quite easy and completely free as I kept in mind. It restored my emails and helped me friends too.

glorry said...
on

Looking forward to reading more. Great article post.Thanks Again.
Really Great.

Find It